Moving isn’t a challenge, it’s an adventure! When your kids move to somewhere new, there are some main topics of fear to confront for them: new home, new friends, and a new school. Here are some tips for you to help guide your children through this period of change.
- Make it a priority to get your child settled into their room so they can feel more comfortable with their surroundings and begin to adapt.
- Routine is a very important part of children’s lives. Maintain the old rituals of homemade pancakes on Saturday morning, or whatever you do together, right away.
- Get your child involved with sports teams, clubs and school activities as soon as you can.
- Encourage your child to make new friends and invite them over. The neighborhood is a very good place to start, so don’t let them be couch potatoes! You might even consider throwing a housewarming party to meet other families in the neighborhood.
- Let the kids stay in touch with old friends through an occasional phone call or email. You may want to get them their own stationery set and stamps so they can write letters!